Executive Director: Horizons Summer Enrichment Program
Executive Director: Horizons Summer Enrichment Program
Greene Street Friends School
About the Organization
Horizons builds brighter futures for K-8 students from low income families by creating an intensive six week program of academic, artistic, and athletic opportunities, nurturing potential, cultivating a safe and supportive community, and inspiring individual dreams.
Because Philadelphia continues to rank high in the nation when it comes to academic disparity between low-income students and their more affluent peers, Horizons’ site at GSFS remains a critical lever for impact. Horizons at GSFS has been committed to narrowing the local opportunity gap by providing enrichment services to students and families from near-by, underserved communities. The student body is balanced in nature, serving children who are academically strong (1/3) as well as those struggling at school (2/3). This model allows students to coach and motivate their peers resulting in mutually beneficial relationships and outcomes. Now beginning its fourth year with 60 students K-3, the program will grow over the next five years to 135 students K-8.
Horizons hosted at Greene Street Friends School is an affiliate of the Horizons National program which has more than 60 sites throughout the country.
For more information, please visit http://greenestreetfriends.org/about/horizons
About the Position
This is an exciting opportunity for a dynamic and visionary individual to lead the first Horizons program in the City of Philadelphia. The Executive Director will maintain overarching leadership and accountability for distilling, communicating and advancing a clear, consensus-driven vision, while also achieving tangible outcomes in the areas of planning, budget development, resource development, staff management, program administration, and community building. This critical role reports to the GSFS Head of School and is uniquely positioned to advance the organization’s work during a critical time of transition and innovation. This is a full time and year-round position.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Strategic Thinking & Vision Setting
· Provide vision, direction, and oversight for Horizons at GSFS, allowing the organization to maximize its impact over both the short and long term
· Establish organization-wide annual goals that are both ambitious and realistic, and aligned with the strategic vision
· Serve as a thought leader within the broader Horizons community; share best practices and key insights from Horizons at GSFS with other sites
Relationship Building & Stakeholder Engagement
· Serve as key external voice and representative for Horizons at GSFS, acting as ambassador, thought partner, and advocate with all critical stakeholders
· Grow a sustainable, diversified local funding base (e.g., individuals, corporations, foundations, public funding etc.) allowing Horizons at GSFS to fund its current $120,000 annual budget, growing over the next five years to $340,000
· Build strategic relationships with external partners (e.g., schools, enrichment programs, affiliates) enabling Horizons at GSFS to effectively and efficiently serve its students and families
· Nurture relationships with internal partners (e.g., staff at GSFS, Horizons National, Horizons affiliate sites) in order to maximize the opportunities that exist at the intersection of the programs
· Cultivate and support local champions, working closely with the Board of Horizons at GSFS and the GSFS school community.
People, Program, and Operations Management
· Hire, manage Horizons at GSFS’ growing summer staff, currently 10
· Oversee all aspects of Horizons at GSFS’ multi-faceted program, including curriculum, planning, implementation, and student assessment
· Serve as principal during the six week program
· Design the processes, systems and protocols needed to ensure operational excellence
Candidates should possess the following:
· 5+ years of experience in the education or nonprofit sector with management and strategic-planning capability
· Experience raising significant amounts of money through major gifts, events, corporate partnerships, and institutional grants, or demonstrated achievement utilizing transferable skills (business development, sales, etc.)
· Commitment to Horizons’ mission, purpose, and values, and to its history, culture, programs, people, and constituencies
· Strong relationship building skills -- able to establish buy-in across stakeholders and influencing diverse groups of individuals and networks to achieve outcomes
· Exceptional communication skills and the charisma to use words to inspire in multiple formats across diverse audiences
· Experience recruiting staff, managing employees, and creating cohesive teams; strong interpersonal skills and a collaborative working style
· Experience designing operational processes and systems
· Financial acumen and the ability to develop and manage budgets
· Ability to set strategic visions and bringing visions to fruition through clear and actionable planning and execution
· Discipline and high energy level, with the ability to execute ambitious plans across all functional areas
· Entrepreneurialism and resourcefulness, with the ability to deliver results
The position begins July 1, 2019. Applicants may email resumes and cover letters to
Dr. Edward W. Marshall
Head of School
Greene Street Friends School is an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to create and maintain a diverse community.