Head of School
Greene Street Friends School invites nominations and applications for their next Head of School beginning July 2023.
Since 1855, Greene Street Friends School (GSFS) has educated children according to the Quaker principles of honesty, respect for the individual, peace, and simplicity. The ethos of the GSFS community is rooted deeply in respect for everyone, stemming from the Quaker belief in “that of God” in all, and strengthened by the caring, spiritual relationship with Green Street Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. GSFS inspires their 322 in grades Pre-K-8 students to be world changers and seekers of knowledge, equity, and social justice. Strong academic fundamentals and ethical strength prepare GSFS students for a rapidly changing world and enable them to succeed with enthusiasm for learning and for life.
Located in the heart of historic Germantown, GSFS represents the racial, economic, and religious diversity of Philadelphia at large. GSFS values the richness of its diversity, encourages empathy and responsibility, and expands how students perceive the complexities of their experiences. An emphasis on simplicity, stewardship, and integrity underlies this inclusive community.
Serving a diverse group of learners, GSFS provides a holistic, robust curriculum, working to ensure each student’s fullest academic, social-emotional, physical, and spiritual development. The School encourages self-advocacy, resilience, leadership, and creativity with innovative teaching methods and the Life Skills curriculum. Students develop the skills and character to thrive in their academic environments beyond GSFS, and to make the world a better place.
Reporting to the Board of Trustees, the new Head of School will be a community leader who embodies the mission of GSFS. Guided by Quaker values, the Head will be thoughtful, inspirational, and innovative, and will provide spirit-led leadership in the operations and management of the School.
An ideal candidate for the Head of School will demonstrate the following:
- Alignment with Greene Street Friends School’s mission and vision;
- The ability to develop, refine and implement a strategic vision to guide GSFS into its next phase of development;
- A strong capacity to build relationships with the various constituencies that make up our school community, ensuring that all voices feel heard;
- Strong financial and operational skills to ensure excellence and long-term sustainability;
- Exceptional listening, verbal/written communication, and public speaking skills;
- A commitment to and demonstrated experience with diversity, equity, inclusion, social justice, and belonging;
- Proven ability to identify, recruit, inspire, retain, develop, and support a strong and diverse faculty and staff as drivers of the School’s mission and advocates for student learning;
- Dedication to collaboration, transparency, and accountability with the GSFS community including the Board of Trustees;
- A legacy of good judgment and sound decision-making;
- The ability to foster robust engagement and partnerships with the wider GSFS community; and
- Excellence in curricular development and implementation of effective pedagogical methods.
For best consideration, please send all nominations and applications to: GreeneStreetFriendsHOS@storbecksearch.com.
It is the policy of Greene Street Friends School to provide Equal Employment Opportunity to all people in all aspects of employer/employee relations without discrimination because of race, color, religion/creed, gender, marital status, pregnancy, ancestry, veteran status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, or any other characteristic protected by the applicable federal, state, or local laws. This policy affects decisions including, but not limited to, terms and conditions of employment, an employee's compensation, benefits, opportunities for promotion, training and development. It is the policy of Greene Street Friends School to maintain a working environment free of all forms of discrimination, harassment and intimidation.